- It’s unethical to hold people to goals that they have set, because much of what happens after you set a goal is unpredictable.
- Watch out for when goals turn counter-productive. Like prescription drugs, they can have unwanted side-effects.
- It’s important to give yourself permission not to stick to goals when circumstances change and you need your wits about you to deal with uncertainty.
- Perhaps if goals are modest and short-term, they will not be so delusional.
- A deadline by which you have to produce a piece of work can be very productive. I write here as a trained journalist.
- If you work with others, instead of setting goals ask them what they would like to achieve. Then when you meet again, ask them what progress they have made.
Here are 6 thoughts about goals: